Vanakkam. Here, I give the basic ideas that go into the use of supernormal mental powers, or psionics, for the setting. Psionics are powers of the brain, and are utterly physicalistic in how they operate, having nothing to do with anything spiritual or nonmaterial in nature. There is no such thing here as astral or spiritual travel abilities, as the soul as a nonphysical entity does not exist in this setting. The mind here is not some homunculus loosely connected to the brain operating it like a puppet, but rather a thing that the brain does in its normal operation. Minds are an emergent property of the brain, not something separable from it. But psionics are still powerful, and those who use them are capable of demonstrable feats that any stage conjuror or performing mentalist in the real world would be hard-pressed to duplicate. Psionics here are on the level of comic book and pulp SF super-powers. This will offend alleged psychics, mediums, and intuitives in the real world, and their supporters, but think X-Men, or better still, E.E. “Doc” Smith’s Lensmen, not the late Sylvia Browne or the extant John Edward. Gods of Terra psis don’t mess around with mere tricks or stage illusions, and that’s because they don’t need to.
So, here are the basic principles governing the functioning of such powers and abilities:
- There is no such thing as a uniquely psionic energy or force-carrying wave-particle generated by the mind for psionic effects. Psionic abilities employ only the fundamental forces of real-world modern physics: the electroweak force, the strong force, and gravity. Psionics may be partly understood from the standpoint of a more mature, future theory of quantum gravity, possibly descended from current Loop Quantum Gravity or M-Theory. There is an element of psionics that is still poorly understood in the setting, and that is its ability to bend natural laws and physical constants locally, using portions of certain physical laws to seemingly violate major portions of other laws. It may be the emerging and still young discipline of Axiomatic physics that leads to a better understanding of how hypershards, and the brains of Stage Three wavetouched, achieve this.
- Psionic potential is software in the brains of psis that needs additional hardware to power and operate effects. That hardware is usually an active hypershard, or the central prefrontal lobes of Stage Three wavetouched. The brain provides the instructions, the hardware provides the energy source and the means to produce the effect. The signal strength possible for unaugmented human brainwaves is far too weak, and attenuates far too quickly from brain, skull, and flesh to be of use.
- Psionics obeys conservation of energy and momentum. It needs a power source that can tap, generate, and transmit greater amounts of energy than the ordinary human brain alone can possibly generate and emit at range. While there appears to be some bending of physical laws by psionicists in the use of their powers, fundamental conservation laws cannot be violated or overturned, even locally or temporarily.
- Psionic effects are non-local, using shortcuts through hyperspace, with range from the body for that nonlocality limited by the strength of the psionicist. Weaker psis generate effects nearer to the body, stronger psis further away. The strongest psis’ nonlocality can ignore physical barriers, except psionic screens and Kurtz-Dunar fields, which can block them. Psionic effects do not radiate through and out of the brain, through skull and flesh or other body tissues, to produce effects in the world. All psi-effects are generated at a focal point in a hypershard or specialized neuronal tissue in Stage Three wavetouched, and appear at the target location without travelling across the intervening space. This allows some stronger psis to generate effects using nuclear forces, despite the rapid decay rates and extreme range-limits of the force-carrying particles involved, by cutting the actual space crossed to less than the diameter of a proton. Weaker psis often generate effects microscopically close to the skin, and must touch the target to affect it.
- Psionics obeys Special Relativity in the speed of transmission of energy and information from point to point in conventional spacetime, limited primarily by the level of hyperspace accessible by the psionicist. Higher levels of hyperspace, more difficult to access, give more rapid relative transmission time. Such transfer of energy/information is never instantaneous for macroscopic objects, as there is always a lag time from sender to target, or from origin to destination for physical teleports. Teleportation here does not rely on quantum-level information, as it is not a mass-transference of particles in which the exact position and quantum state of each must be known. I’m talking subjectively rapid travel through warps in spacetime, closer to stargates, tesseracts, or wormholes than Star Trek transporters. No “Heisenberg compensators” need apply. Relativistic time-dilation occurs with teleportation over interstellar distances.
With these five principles in mind, we can then take a look at the powers themselves and how they operate in greater detail. Next time, we examine the power-level classifications of psionicists according to military and law-enforcement organizations in the setting, while after that we’ll do a deep dive into the specifics of the powers themselves and their sub-abilities.
I’ll see you then!
Tf. Tk. Tts.