Whelp, the weekend is almost over, and I’ve noticed something interesting for the first time in a while: Upon seeing a fractal image with a sky blue background, I can almost, but not quite, hear the electronics of the Gary Wright song, “Dreamweaver” from the 1970s or thereabouts, in my head.
This first came to my attention some years ago when seeing a Collatz fractal looking as though it was hanging in an empty and perfectly clear sky. I’m very close to certain that it was this one – the image links to its Wikimedia Commons page when clicked:
That sensation has never fully left over the years, and I’m wondering if that has anything to do with my fascination with fractals or with my unusual…psychology. The association feels a bit like synesthesia, though not quite to the level of fully audible sound, more of an almost-sound in my mind’s ear, so to speak. I noticed it again last evening with this recently generated wallpaper of my own, still that same near-sensation of music, combined with a stark, alien sense of mathematical strangeness and beauty.
Anyhoo, I’ll be spending extra time studying tomorrow and the rest of this week, as I’m having a blast taking notes and practicing techniques from a course on mental mathematics, and incorporating some mnemonics I’ve learned from it in my language studies, the Major system and the Pegword method. I’ve even found a way to use the Major system to easily expand use of the Pegword method, which has even more win!
Talotaa frang, talotaa kas, talotaa tranga sulat.
- Saturday Slices 8.8.15 | Realm of Empress Musie
- 5 Most Popular Superhero Television Shows | Vikram Roy’s Blog
- True Book Addict | HFVBT: Kari Edgren’s An Immortal Descent – Review
- Review: Tim Minchin with Lucky Oceans Friends Sonic Sessions | Token Skeptic
- Laughing in Purgatory | Non-Bullshit Parenting
- Ravens N’ Pennies | Sicatra – The Bloodied and the Banal – Game Session 3
- NeuroLogica Blog | The Holistic Doctor Murder Conspiracy
- Vacation: Representative Image | S.A. Barton: Seriously Eclectic
- Things I read this fortnight that I found interesting | karaskonjectures
The Odd, the Gnuz & the Sciencey
- Revolutionary tidal fence is set to trap the sea’s power | Environment | Guardian
- New Concorde Could Fly London to New York in One Hour | IFLScience
- Delhi seeks equal rights for all women, straight and gay | The Indian Express
- When Einstein met Tagore: A Remarkable Meeting of Minds at the Edge of Science & Spirituality | Brain Pickings
- Ring-Tailed Lemurs Threatened by Illegal Pet Trade | Extinction Countdown | Scientific American Blog Network
- Monarch butterfly studies tell a perplexing tale | Science/AAAS | News
- Methane Reduction Supplements Could Help Save the Earth | The Skeptics’ Guide to the Universe
- Some STIs Are Beneficial, and May Have Boosted Evolutionary Promiscuity | Scientific American
- Fourth blogger is hacked to death in Bangladesh
- 10 Famous Scientists You Want On Your Side in A Bar Brawl
- Maybe Charles Koch isn’t worried about climate change because he doesn’t get the science | Environment | The Guardian
- Mike Huckabee’s “DNA schedule” is something no scientist has ever heard of.
- A philosophical webcomic : Royal Existentials
- Posts Currently Published: 2,368
- Total Pageviews: 161,860
- Comments Count: 2,299
- This blog’s Facebook Likes: 40
- WordPress & Email Subscribers: 290
- Tumblr Fellows: 1,208
- Twitter Fellows: 2,268
Daniel Dennett: Can Churches Survive the New Transparency?