G’day, all. As I announced here, I’ve finished my first short story, Dirge, and a good friend of mine (You know who you are!) is having it professionally formatted to make it more cross-platform friendly and reader-friendly, and let me distribute it more widely than just on my personal blogs.
Also, I’ve begun two new drafts, both currently under 5,000 words, originally from serialized fiction posts on this blog. I’ll get them up to at least 6,000 words, with the intent of reaching 7,000 – 8,000 words and much rewriting of the material before finishing. I’m also working on a compilation of flash fiction, some of it posted on this blog, sometimes others, and some of it completely new.
Having looked at my verses for memorizing Tamil ‘pure’ consonants, I’ve found I’m dissatisfied with them, and shall rewrite them in two sets of three: One in dactylic hexameter, the poetic form used by Greek poets Hesiod and Homer, and just to be more faithful to the Tamil language, I’m also rewriting them in the meter used in the ancient Sangam literature. This will be glorious when both sets are finished! I’m using in each set clues and cues to the shape of each letter in the alpha-syllabary, and of course, the ordinary pronunciation as well.
Another Tamil book, my first hardcover text for study and its accompanying video disc have arrived in the mail, giving me one more tool for learning the language. I’ll soon begin studying Hindi and Bengali as well. I’ll have to take care to space the study sessions for each language out to avoid the interference effect, perhaps limiting myself to one language per week, alternating between them.